Outdoor Recreation (ODR)
- Facility Overview
Outdoor Recreation offers equipment rentals and a variety of programs such as hiking groups, hunting, archery, fishing and special day trips throughout the year.
Outdoor Recreation is home to an RV Travel Camp available for a day, weekend, or week-long getaways and also has various parks and pavilions available for rent for family picnics or large gatherings.
- Equipment Rentals
Sports & Game Equipment 1 Day Fri-Mon 7 Day Basketball/Football/Soccer Ball/Volleyball/Kickball $2 $3 $5 Softball Set (9 Gloves, 3 Bats, 3 Balls, 4 Bases, 1 Mask) $10 $15 $20 Disc Golf Set $10 $15 $20 Horseshoe Set $5 $10 $15 Croquet Set $5 $10 $15 Flag Football Set $5 $10 $15 Tug of War $2 $5 $10 Potato Sack Set (3 Bags) $4 $7 $10 Hoppity Hops (Bounce Ball with Handle) $3 $5 $8 Fishing Rod $5 $10 $15 Fly Fishing Rod $5 $10 $15 Archery - Recurve Bow $8 - - Archery - Compound Bow $10 - - Megaphone $10 $20 $30 Baggo (Corn Hole) $20 $40 $70 Ladder Ball $20 $40 $70 Party & Cook Out Equipment 1 Day Fri-Mon 7 Days Large Tow-able Charcoal Cooker ($100 Deposit) $150 $200 $350 Dunk Tank ($100 Deposit) $150 $200 $350 Super Large Cooler (130 Quarts) $20 $25 $40 Extra Large Cooler (80 Quarts) $12 $17 $30 Large Cooler (60 Quarts) $5 $10 $20 20 Gallon Thermos $5 $10 $20 Extension Cord $3 $6
Camping Equipment 1 Day Fri-Mon 7 Days 6 Person Tent $30 $40 $60 Sleeping Ground Pad $5 $10 $20 Stove with 2 Burners $10 $15 $25 Canopies, Tables & Chairs 1 Day Fri-Mon 7 Days 16 x 16 Canopy ($100 Deposit) $100 $125 $200 20 x 20 Canopy ($100 Deposit) $105 $135 $225 20 x 30 Canopy ($100 Deposit) $125 $175 $275 20 x 40 Canopy ($100 Deposit) $150 $250 $300 20 x 40 White Canopy ($100 Deposit) $225 $300 $350 Chairs (Black) $2.50 $5 $9 Chairs (White) $3.50 $6 $10 6 Foot Table - Various Colors $5 $8 $12 6 Foot Folding Table - Various Colors $5 $8
Water Boat Rentals 4 Hours 1 Day Fri-Mon Weekly Single Kayak - Sit on Top $18 $30 $60 $120 Tandem Kayak - Sit on Top $20 $36 $72 $145 Canoe $20 $36 $72 $145 Stand-up Paddle Board $20 $36 $72 $145
*Water Boat Rentals include Paddle and PFD. 4-hour rentals start at 8 a.m., 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. Full day rentals start at 8 a.m. and end at 8 p.m. Weekly rentals require deposits of $100.
Inflatable Weight Min Height Max Height Max Weight Price (24 Hours) Fun House Bouncer (1-100) 225 lbs 42" 72" 800 lbs $175 Jump in the Box Moon Bouncer (144) 122 lbs 36" 52" 500 lbs $175 4-in-1 Combo Fun House (151) 275 lbs 42" 60" 625 lbs $275 Jumbo Fun House (163) 340 lbs 42" 72" 1600 lbs $225 3-in-1 Mini Deluxe Fun House Combo (282) 195 lbs 36" 52" 500 lbs $275 Mini Turbo Rush (521-2 Pieces A&B) 475 lbs 42" 66" 600 lbs $275/$500 Set Deluxe Fun House Play Center (430) 295 lbs 36" 50" 800 lbs $300
* Inflatables will be required to pay deposit of $100.
All Equipment Reservations must be made in person with full payment at Outdoor Recreation. Customers are required to load and unload all equipment. Deposits are paid at time of reservation. No cash or check deposits. Deposits will only be returned if equipment is returned on time and in clean operating condition. All deposits must be requested on the date of return. Cancellations must be made 7 days prior to reservation start.
- Parks and Pavilions
Large Parks Price Deposit Max Capacity Anderson $175 $100 400 Soldier Statesmen $150 $100 250 Pavilions Price Deposit Max Capacity Castle $85 $50 25 Osprey $35 $25 25 Eagle $35 $25 25
All Reservations must be made in person at Outdoor Recreation. Reservations are not guaranteed without full payment. Cancellations must be made at least 7 days prior to date of reservation for a full refund. Refunds will not be granted for inclement weather. Cleaning Deposits will only be refunded if the park is cleaned after use. All Cleaning Deposits must be made by credit card; no cash or check deposits will be accepted.
The Fort Belvoir MWR Archery Center Operates with:
- One 18 Point NFAA Indoor 20 yard Practice Range
- One 10 Point Indoor 15 - 40 yard Practice Range
- One 14 Point Standard Outdoor NFAA Field Archery Course
- One eight Point Outdoor Lighted Practice Range with targets at 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards.
- One four Point Outdoor Broad head Practice Range with 20 and 30 yard lines
Archery Center Prices Youth Adult 2 Hour Pass $3 $3 4 Hour Pass $5 $5 Annual Pass (Indoor/Outdoor Range Only) $25 $50 Annual Pass (All 4 Ranges) $45 $85
Fishing License requirements for Fort Belvoir:
Ages 16 and above only require a Virginia State fishing license and a Freshwater license. Licenses are available at all local Walmarts, the Fort Belvoir Exchange and online, Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
Fort Belvoir is now using the iSportsman software program to register all hunters as well as manage hunting areas, waterfowl blinds, check-ins/outs, and game harvest information.
Hunters must first register by creating an account which can be utilized at all installations that are using iSportsman! The software then allows all users to access hunting via the website, telephone, or smartphone. The policy regarding the upcoming hunting season is currently being drafted and will be made available shortly on the iSportsman and Outdoor Rec website.
For those wishing to bowhunt, qualifications will be conducted at Outdoor Recreation, after successful qualification, hunters accounts will then be validated by staff, which will then allow hunters to purchase permits (when available).
For those wishing to waterfowl hunt, once registration is complete, hunters will be able to purchase permits (when available).
As the program and software progresses, all users will receive email notifications for updates, status, and any instructions necessary.
The Fort Belvoir Natural Resources Branch and Outdoor Recreation Department want to thank you for your patience and cooperation as we transition into this new program.
2016-2017 Bowhunting Map (PDF)
Season dates correspond to Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
Bowhunting Required Documentation: To be eligible to hunt on Fort Belvoir, Hunters must provide Outdoor Recreation with proof of their Hunters Education certification (accepted from any state) as well as an International Bowhunters Education Program (IBEP) certificate.
Hunter's Education and IBEP classes are offered at Outdoor Recreation.
VA State Hunters Ed Class Sunday Aug 27 VA State Hunters Ed Class Sunday Sep 10 VA State Hunters Ed Class Sunday Oct 22 VA State Hunters Ed Class Sunday Aug 27 Sunday Sep 10 Sunday Oct 22 IBEP Class Saturday Jul 15, 2017 IBEP Class Saturday Aug 12, 2017 IBEP Class Sunday Sep 3, 2017 IBEP Class Sunday Oct 1, 2017 IBEP Class Sunday Nov 19, 2017 IBEP Class Saturday Jul 15, 2017 Saturday Aug 12, 2017 Sunday Sep 3, 2017 Sunday Oct 1, 2017 Sunday Nov 19, 2017
- Travel Camp and Lodging
There are 52 fully loaded 40 foot RV camping spaces available at the Travel Camp. Each camp site has a picnic table, fire ring for grilling and campfires and a stunning view of the Potomac River. Castle Park, two fishing piers and Accotink Wildlife Refuge hiking trails are all within walking distance from the campground. Outdoor Recreation offers additional services to include: firewood, bait, ice, ice cream, equipment rental, hunting, fishing, hiking, biking and boating.
Outdoor Recration also offers the rental of the historic Thermo-Con House! Thermo-Con amenities include 2 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms and a studio kitchen with a stove, fridge, microwave convection oven, coffee maker, cooking utensils, and dishes.
(Travel Camp Sitemap PDF).
Travel Camp Gallery
- Tent Camping - New!
Outdoor Recreation now offers primitive tent camping sites! A total of 10 camp sites overlook Gunston Cove of the Potomac River.
The fee is $20 a night. There is a 14 night maximum stay.
- Picnic table
- BBQ Fire pit
All Active Duty Service Members, Retirees, Family Members and DoD Civilian Employees and Contractors.
Available for rent at Outdoor Recreation
- 6-person tents (shown in pictures).
- Sleeping bags and mats.
- Fishing rods.
- Archery equipment.
- Canoes, kayaks and stand-up paddle boards.
- Lawn games.
- View full equipment issue price list.
Available for purchase at Outdoor Recreation
- Live and frozen bait for fishing.
- Trash bags
- S’mores supplies, to include marshmallows, chocolate, graham crackers and roasting sticks (please don’t use sticks from our trees).
- Hot dogs, buns, peanut butter, jelly and other camping favorites.
- Beer and wine
- Firewood. Campers are not permitted to bring friewood to use at the ODR campsites. Firewood brought from other locations might transmit insects that are deadly to our tree.
Important Information to know about Primitive Camping Sites
- A maximum of two tents will be allowed per site.
- These are primitive campsites. There is no water or electricity.
- There is no overnight access to indoor restrooms on site. There is a porta-potty available within walking distance of the camp sites. Also all guests may use the 24 hour restrooms, showers and laundry facility at the Travel Camp, approximately .7 miles.
- There is no vehicle access to the sites. Campers must pack-in and pack-out any camping equipment and trash. Outdoor Recreation offers all-terrain carts for campers, by request, to assist in transporting camping equipment from the parking area to the sites.
- Parking is located at the end of Johnston Road, near the kayak and canoe racks.
- Campers are responsible for cleaning the campsite area and taking all trash from the campsite and depositing it in the dumpster, located in the Outdoor Recreation parking lot closest to the Dog Park. Do not leave trash at the site. There are plenty of animals that would appreciate it but other campers would not!
- Vehicles are not permitted on the grass for any reason or at any time. Campers must pack-in and pack-out everything.
- Quiet hours are 10 p.m. – 8 a.m. Please be considerate of other campers.
- Dogs must be on leash at all times and owners must clean up after them.
- Campers are not allowed to bring firewood to use at the ODR campsites. Firewood brought from other locations might transmit insects that are deadly to our trees.
- Cancellations or changes must be made 2 days prior to the day of check-in to receive a full refund. No refunds will be made due to inclement weather.
- The sponsor is responsible for the conduct of their dependents and guests. Guests and children under the age of 12 should not be left unattended.
- Management reserves the right to relocate or change reserved sites at any time.
- Respect other campers’ privacy—do not crowd or walk through other campsites. Site or Group parties are not authorized.
- There is not any swimming or wading allowed on the shores of Fort Belvoir.
- The discharge of firearms or fireworks is prohibited at all times.
- Open fires are only permitted in fire rings and BBQ grills and patrons must be present at all times. Fire rings may not be moved. Gathering of wood on Fort Belvoir is prohibited. The limbs on the ground serve as an ecological function in our unimproved areas. Campers must clean out their fire ring prior to checkout.
- Golf Carts, ATV’S, and any motorized vehicle that are not licensed are NOT permitted on Fort Belvoir or in the campground per Fort Belvoir Regulation, 190-1.
- Respect our environment - hanging of clothes or anything else on trees as well as climbing on trees is prohibited. Please do not feed any wild animals. Bothersome animals should be reported.
- If you bring your pet(s), the pet(s) must be kept on a leash at all times, and pet waste must be picked up and deposited in waste enclosures or dog waste stations located throughout the camp. Also, pets must not be tied up outside or left unattended in or around vehicles.
- When fishing all Virginia State rules, regulations, and guidelines must be followed. For More information visit www.dgif.com.
- Outdoor Recreation, the Travel Camp, DFMWR, and the Army assume no responsibility for damaged, lost, or stolen personal property during a camper’s stay.
- Abuse of the campsites and grounds will result in removal of parties concerned. Individuals will be held responsible for any damages or loss that is caused by negligence, willful misconduct, or fraud. And refunds will not be processed.
- Enjoy your stay and thank you for choosing to stay with us!
- Warrior Adventure Quest
Warrior Adventure Quest Office Hours
Monday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Tuesday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Wednesday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Thursday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Friday Closed Saturday Closed Sunday Closed
What is Warrior Adventure Quest?
- Department of the Army initiative, by executive order (Execution Order09-019) to provide high-adventure outdoor recreation programs as part of team building and the Army’s holistic approach to RESET.
- Warrior Adventure Quest is a free resiliency training for Army units. All units are now eligible for participation. Non-deploying units can attend once every two years while units who are 120 days prior to deployment or 120 days after deployment can attend during that time frame.
- Helps strengthen Soldiers resiliency and builds strong bonds that will last throughout deployment (pre deployment).
- Mitigates common high risk behaviors (post deployment).
- White Water Rafting.
- Winter Tubing.
- ATV Excursions.
- Fishing Excursions.
To inquire about WAQ for your unit call Brianna Kipper at +1 (703)805-1488 or send an email by clicking "Email Us" above.
Snow Tubing in Massanuten VA, Jan 2017
- Photo Gallery
Hours of Operation
|Monday||8 a.m. - 8 p.m.|
|Tuesday||8 a.m. - 8 p.m.|
|Wednesday||8 a.m. - 8 p.m.|
|Thursday||8 a.m. - 8 p.m.|
|Friday||8 a.m. - 8 p.m.|
|Saturday||8 a.m. - 8 p.m.|
|Sunday||8 a.m. - 8 p.m.|
Tent Camping Now Available!
Calling all campers! Outdoor Recreation now offers tent camping. Find out more under the "Tent Camping" tab below.
The new lobby is open!
A lot has changed at Outdoor Recreation! The main lobby has moved to the other side of the building. The new space allows for more rental equipment to be on display. Outdoor Recreation has added to the ice, bait and ice cream resale items, and has begun selling a new array of snacks and beverages for Tompkins basin patrons to enjoy. Come on down and visit the new space!
Ongoing renovation plans include a new space for indoor bounce house fun to include party reservations.
The Fort Belvoir Outdoor Recreation Program offers a long list of outdoor recreation equipment for rent at modest per-day rates. This is your one-stop rental facility for all your recreation needs.The outdoor equipment rental shop can supply you with gear for both winter and summer seasons.