- Summer Reading tracking begins on June 15.
- Registration continues through Aug. 10.
- The last day to track time is Aug. 17.
- *Prizes must be claimed by Aug. 23.
- Children can walk the red carpet, take pictures with fun props, enjoy pre-event crafts and activities, and watch a popular animated movie featuring a Koala’s desperate attempt to save his beloved theater by hosting a singing competition. Did you guess the movie? That's right, it's Sing!
- Date: June 15.
- Location: Wallace Theater. It’s easy to find, we share a parking lot!
- The event starts at 1 p.m. with crafts, games and a bounce house.
- The movie will begin at 2 p.m.
- This is a free event!
- Held in the Library
- Thursdays: July 11, 18 and 25, Aug. 1, 8 and 15
- 2 p.m.
- Ages: Rising 1st - 6th Graders
- Registration is recommended. Stop by or call +1 (703)805-4244 to register.
- Various locations
- Tuesdays: July 9 - Aug 13
- July 9 - Library activity
- July 16 - Graves Fitness center- indoor rockwall *space is limited*
- July 23 - Library activity
- July 30 - Outdoor Recreation- Archery *space is limited*
- Aug 6 - 16th Street Fire Station
- Aug 13 - Bowling Center
- 2 p.m.
- Ages: Rising 7th - 12th Graders
- Registration is required. Stop by or call +1 (703)805-4244 to register.
- View pictures of previous activities in this Facebook album.
- Tel: +1 (703)805-4244
Excitement and fun await those who journey to the Library and participate in the summer reading program, It’s Showtime at your Library.
During summer, June through August, the library will host a range of free activities for children, teens, and adults to encourage and support a love of reading. Participants can win prizes for reaching their reading goals!
Themed events include a red carpet movie event (details below) and special story times.
There’s also a serious side to summer reading. Research has shown that reading over the summer prevents summer reading loss. Studies also indicate students who read recreationally outperformed those who don’t. Students read more when they can choose materials based on their own interests.
Our libraries are committed to supporting lifelong learning and educational enrichment for all families.
Summer Reading Timeline
*While supplies last.
*Children will receive a prize for reaching their goal. Adult readers will be entered into a drawing for prizes.
PCSing? Ask your Librarian to transfer your account to your new location and your tracked time will travel with you!
Check in on the MWR Facebook Page for fun Library facts, pictures and general Library shenanigans all summer long and use #DoDMWRSummerReading2019 to share your stories!
Summer Reading Events
Kick off Red Carpet Movie Event!
School Age Programs